---- bev walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I dislike combining strands of a fine thread to make up the equivalent size
of a thicker thread. -----

I have to side with Bev on this one.  In polychrome, you can get wonderful
shading by using a bunch of fine strands together as the worker, gradually
replacing the strands one-by-one with another shade.  However, any other time
I'd much rather use a thread where the strands have already been plied for me,
and they're used to working together as a unit.  Whenever I try to make my own
thread, the strands are much too independent. They ignore each other and go
their own ways instead of cooperating.

I must admit I do mix threads, though.  While I generally pair silk with silk
and cotton with cotton, etc., I will happily substitute buttonhole twist for
perle, or perle for cordonnet, if the size is right and the color is what I'm
looking for.  The gimp requires different tensioning thant he rest of the
threads anyway, so I don't care if my gimp tensions differently than the
designer's suggested gimp.  But then I'm a very slow lacemaker.  If I have to
tension more frequently, it just means more chances to admire the pretty design
while I watch the threads straighten out.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA