Dee wrote:
<I have just started to make a large item in very fine silk, on a flat
polystyrene pillow, and am finding that I am reluctant to start it each day,
even though I want to do the pattern, as it is starting on the far side of my
pillow, and I have to stretch so much to reach to put the pins in, which
gives
me terrible backache very quickly.  Has anyone any tips on how to get over
this, or is it just a case of slogging on with it until I have worked enough
for it to be within easy reach?>

I think it might be easier to stand whilst making the farthest stitches.  I
did a large item that was difficult to reach and after that I made a large
block pillow so that I could move the lace further up the pillow as the work
progressed.  I remember on a visit to Denmark meeting a young lace maker who
had made a point ground wedding veil by using builders foam on the floor and
sitting on it to reach the pinholes.  I did say she was "young" but she was
also a ballerina and sat in the splits position to do it.  I hope her sister
appreciated the veil. :-)

Janice

Janice Blair

Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA

www.jblace.com

www.landoflincolnlacemakers.com

http://www.lacemakersofillinois.com