Dear Clay -- Now that is one of the most helpful messages we have ever got on Arachne, and we all of us have to thank you for it. -- Aurelia

I needed a pillow for a large project. I ordered foam blocks from Ken van Dieren (he's in the US, as I am, but I'm sure you can find a source in the UK). My pillow is wider than it is high, because I reasoned that the space at the top would be wasted. So, I have three 5.5" blocks on each side, and three 11" blocks going down the middle. (14 and 28 cm) so the total width is 22" (about 56 cm) and the height is 16.5" (42 cm). I started my work near the top of the center block, and as I've progressed, I've just moved the blocks up. I also made a pair of "half-blocks" which are 11" wide but only 2.75" deep. This makes it easier to move the blocks in smaller steps. My blocks are covered first with a layer of felt and then with navy twill. It is a very satisfactory pillow, and I expect to use it for a lot of things.