Hi Dee...

Since you have already realized that the pillow you're working on is not going to work for this pattern (because eventually everything will be too close to you and you won't have room for all your bobbins...), I suggest that you switch gears. You say you're working on a flat polystyrene pillow. I would get more polystyrene and make a block pillow. You will use it again and again.

I needed a pillow for a large project. I ordered foam blocks from Ken van Dieren (he's in the US, as I am, but I'm sure you can find a source in the UK). My pillow is wider than it is high, because I reasoned that the space at the top would be wasted. So, I have three 5.5" blocks on each side, and three 11" blocks going down the middle. (14 and 28 cm) so the total width is 22" (about 56 cm) and the height is 16.5" (42 cm). I started my work near the top of the center block, and as I've progressed, I've just moved the blocks up. I also made a pair of "half-blocks" which are 11" wide but only 2.75" deep. This makes it easier to move the blocks in smaller steps. My blocks are covered first with a layer of felt and then with navy twill. It is a very satisfactory pillow, and I expect to use it for a lot of things.

And... between the cost of the blocks (pre-cut for me to the sizes I needed) and the materials that DH bought to construct the frame to hold the blocks in place, I spent less than $40. (around 22 pounds).

I predict that with a different pillow, you'll enjoy that project much more.

Clay

Dee Palin wrote:
I have just started to make a large item in very fine silk, on a flat
polystyrene pillow, and am finding that I am reluctant to start it each day,
even though I want to do the pattern, as it is starting on the far side of my
pillow, and I have to stretch so much to reach to put the pins in, which gives
me terrible backache very quickly.  Has anyone any tips on how to get over
this, or is it just a case of slogging on with it until I have worked enough
for it to be within easy reach?
Dee Palin
Warwickshire