this showed just about an inch and a half or so at almost the top of the lace, rather than once much lace had been made.

Some of my bobbins I can undo by turning the bobbin and others not, I also eventually learned how to rewind up with a pin, but again depends on how nicely they are wound, I think, plus what type of thread it is. Some do better than others.
thank you for your brilliant answers though.
Actually I was being nosy :-) well interested I should say, <g> Sue T Dorset UK

"I have been watching video footage of bobbin lace being made and noticed
the
very short amount of thread between last worked pin and the top of the
bobbin
and wondered what most of you all do."

Of course, the length of the thread shortens as you work. It depends on the
stitch as to whether all threads shorten by a similar amount and how quickly
they shorten. The workers shorten very quickly and the passives slowly in
cloth/linen (or whatever you call it) stitch. With half stitch they all
shorten by a similar amount.

I admit to being very naughty in lengthening threads with my (clean as I can
make them) fingers because I find it very difficult to do it by just turning
the bobbin or by hooking the thread with a pin..

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK