Sue

Could you maybe 'make the lace' as you would any other pattern... then
bend wire into the same shape and blanket stitch it round as you would
in needle lace?

Otherwise, try spraying it once made and off the pillow with
hairspray, but it may get sticky over time....

Just a thought...

Sue in a dismal EY
On 21 Oct 2009, at 12:18, Sue wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have finally begun working on a lace flower.  One of a number I
> hope over the coming weeks.  I bought coloured thread to work them
> only to find that it is too fine for the patterns I am working on,
> so I have begun using the venus colours I have instead.  This first
> one is the daisy from the fantasy flowers book and most of it is ok,
> I am struggling a bit with the central area.    I decided to use
> wire as an outside gimp so I could bend leaves into shape rather
> than have them floppy or use stiffner of another kind but I find the
> wire crinkles up from time to time.  I have smoothed it out gently
> and its ok, but I am wondering about working with starch, or other
> kinds of stiffner for other flowers.
> Can I ask those people in the UK, what type of product they use to
> stiffen larger flowers (this one done 85% or the original pattern
> size) not the small size of some of the separate leaf shapes in some
> other flower books I have.   I am considering working some of these
> tiny ones too, using the separate leaves and making up one leaf at a
> time.  I dont want to spray things onto my pillow, so I am expecting
> to take them off there but could pin them out onto another surface
> before spraying, pasting, or whatever.
> Any comments or advise mose welcome.
>
> Sue T Dorset, UK
> Bobbin Lace and Glass engravings