Hi Sue and everyone,

Lots of good advice - to followup on what someone mentioned from Ulrike, if
you have a spray product, spritz it into a clean container like a small
plastic food tub, dab the liquid on the lace with a cheapie craft
paintbrush. Then you aren't getting spraylets everywhere.

Plan ahead if you are going to starch a piece - I used to take the lace off
the pillow and carefully repin to a hard foam scrap but that was time
consuming. I now starch right on the pillow - *but* I have a layer of craft
foam between the pricking and the cotton pillow surface. The foam extends
quite a bit past the pricking, just in case, to protect the pillow surface.

For the pricking: I make it on quite stiff card, paste the photocopy of the
pricking on, and put clear adhesive tape in overlapping layers on the
pricking to prevent the photocopy ink from getting damp (then I can use the
pricking over again). I don't use the adhesive film because I usually mess
up the placement, with wrinkling. On the finished lace, still with most pins
in to keep the shape, I  dab the starch on with the craft brush - v. cheap
nylon brush (I use Moravia but this applies to any stiffener, I should
think). When the piece is dry to touch, I take out the pins, push them into
one of my wool-stuffed pincushions to clean them (starch doesn't seem to
adhere to stainless steel much?) and while the starching is still pliable,
bend or shape the piece to suit. There is a buildup of shiny areas of starch
on the pricking, which doesn't affect the use :)

I tried hairspray, doing the spray into container, dab with a brush method,
and don't like the finished effect :(
Now what do I do with a nearly full bottle of this hair spray...

anyway, hope this else helps

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Sue <hurwitz...@talktalk.net> wrote:

> I dont want to spray things onto my pillow, so I am expecting to take them
> off there but could pin them out onto another surface before spraying,
> pasting, or whatever.
> Any comments or advise mose welcome.
>
> --
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada