I think that the lines between needle and bobbin lace are blurred again.

Bobbin lace - Plastic over photocopy of pricking, with extra paper layers
or card behind unless the pillow is very firm.  A bobbin lace pricking,
whatever form it takes, will be rigid as it is on a pillow.  Its job is to
allow
accurate placement of the pins, and to help support the pins to keep that
accurate placement.

Needlelace - Plastic over photocopy sewn onto a pad of several layers of
fabric (old sheet, calico (UK) or muslin (US)).  Its job is to support the
outline of the design, be flexible enough to hold in the hand or curve on a
bolster type pillow, and at times fold almost in half to allow the placement of
difficult stitches, while at the same time being firm enough to not allow
the tension of the stitches to pull it out of shape

So althought the starting point is the same plastic over photocopy, the end
use is very different.

With bobbin lace it was often used just to give a contrast colour behind
the (traditionally) white thread, now it seems sometimes to be considered
nearly essential.  However, as the lace just sits on top of the rigid pricking,
so long as you can see what you are doing you don't *need* the plastic and I
very rarely use it - only if I am going to stiffen the lace on the pillow.
For my prick-as-I-go Milanese I photocopy onto coloured light-weight art
card, for my other pre-pricked laces I photocopy straight onto the thinnest
real pricking card - I have already drawn it all in on my design draft and
don't see the need to do it again!

For needlace the important thing is to have a surface which is going to
make a barrier between the lace/needle and the paper whereupon sits the design
- without the plastic (or architects linen) the paper would soon crumple and
tear, and the fibres would work their way up into the lace.  The contrast
colour is also helpful!

Many years ago now one of my students started several pieces of work at
home which were in the form of white thread, white photocopy and we added the
blue sticky plastic retrospectively in class.  One week she arrived with a
big smile on her face as she'd remembered the plastic *before* she started the
lace, and yes, you've guessed it, she was now working with blue thread.

Calico in the UK is a beigey/off white cotton fabric, available in
different weights, with lots of dressing in it as you buy it.  Once it is
washed it
makes a good base for needlelace, but before it is a bit stiff.  The small
cottage print type fabric, assuming you mean the weight that would commonly
be used for patchwork and quilting is just called 'cotton fabric' (except in
some patchwork fabric shops who are gradually being influenced by the US
patchwork books and magazines and are beginning to call it calico!), or if it's
plain colour, possibly cotton lawn.

Muslin in the UK is a now loosely woven fabric, and not always very even,
which is why Jane said course as in the sense 'not top quality', made of a
fine thread, which is why she said fine. I think historically it would have
been much better quality as it is the sort of fabric the Regency dresses were
made from.  I can see your confusion as she used two words basically
meaning the opposite.

Hope this helps.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire