In message <666730.22564...@web34405.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, Susan Reishus <elationrelat...@yahoo.com> writes
"My question regarding your suggestion would be why buy brown paper  and the
Weldbond (even if we can get it here!) and spend time diluting,  pasting the
paper and waiting for it to dry when the adhesive plastic  films work as well
and are bought ready-to-use?" Jane Patridge

I am confused, as you had shared that Architect's Linen would be used for needle lace, and adhesive plastic over paper would be used for bobbin (paraphrased)?

No, what I meant was that adhesive plastic over a paper pattern (which is then tacked onto a backing of (in my case) three layers of calico) is for needlelace. If you need the support to be firmer, after couching, you can pin it to a needlelace pillow to work the lace. The pad is comfortable to stitch through when tacking the pattern on and couching - which if it was thicker or stiffer, it wouldn't be - so that is probably why you would want to pre-prick it? If the couching stitch comes up and goes down through the same hole there is a danger of the cordonnet being pulled through the pattern - hence I tend not to do this.

The same plastic can be used on bobbin lace prickings, but in this case whereas some will use it on paper alone to give it a bit more substance, the use we were taught (which I no longer do) was to use it over a non-waterproof paper pattern* which has been stuck to pricking card to save drawing in the pattern markings. *By non-waterproof, I mean some inks, pencil, printer toners etc that are not waterproof and may mark the thread if it gets damp through the atmosphere or from your hands. I just use pricking card and where necessary mark it using a waterproof pen.

Not all permanent markers are waterproof - check that it states "waterproof" on the pen before trusting it, regardless of the supplier!

 Some prefer having a taut surface to
work upon and others, less so. You mentioned 3 layers of calico (here, a small
cottage print) or muslin (US), but I would prefer something a bit stiffer,
knowing that "play" tends to accrue and when removed, proportion can be off.

The calico is used as a support under the pattern in needlelace, with all layers tacked together round the edge, and only the couching stitches go through it, so I don't really see where any "play" would cause a problem.

"our muslin is a much finer, coarser woven cloth" Jane Partridge

For some reason, I am not comprehending what that means.  Can you help me
understand?  TIA, Susan Reishus
I've explained this in a bit more detail off list.
--
Jane Partridge