I understand the standard current "plastic" techniques used for protection and
support in needle lace and bobbin lace, though there seems to be an odd
perception that I do not.  It seems to keep deflecting away from sharing
foundation/pattern techniques or replacements for architect's paper for those
who want a form of "paper" with a flexible core, etc.  (Architect's paper also
deviated in thickness and had variant uses from temporary to permanent drafts,
to use in stenciling, and on and on.)

My interest, is working upon a traditional and richer medium, such as
architect's linen or it's comparables.  To me, plastic isn't friendly, though
can serve it's purpose.  I would compare it to knitting with wool vs. acrylic,
or sewing cashmere vs. polyester blend.  Some people do status quo, and some
like innovation or tradition that enriches the experience, and may provide a
more permanent pattern or remnant of one's work.  My query is not from lack of
current concepts, but rather to enhance/advance and/or bring forward that which
perhaps for some, shouldn't be lost and rather replicated differently (by those
who have knowledge, for those who are interested.)

I still don't understand what "muslin is a much finer, coarser woven cloth
(Jane
Partridge)" is?  The two adjectives seem to counter each other.

Generally in the US, permanent inks (in their various and multitudinous
variations and the tools that host them), are often called "indelible."  Sadly,
I think some permeate barriers, and others, less so.  There are certainly more
options than there were, say, 20 years ago, before the scrapbooking craze.

Best,
Susan Reishus