"you are assuming architects' linen to be like a high quality paper..." Sue

That perception is mistaken.

One person is lecturing on the fundaments of needle and bobbin lace and current
standards to work from it, vs. discussing the actual subject, which is:
Architect's paper is linen with a coating, and descriptions range from gelatin,
to other compositions to cover/treat it.  The subject is Architect's Linen
comparables, and I was looking for substitutes as my first suggestion was
Canaletto paper (which has a percentage of cotton as it's core and seems to
have
a similar coating.  I don't think that architect's paper is a high quality
paper, but it is also often referred to as Drafting Paper and so the variances
accrue, and the search for what currently could/would best replicate it, which
could end up being a high quality paper.

A portion of this discussion is occurring off list, in tones that do not
reflect
well on it's author. I am bringing the conversation to the list so all
information is shared, and it also seems to change the tone of the contributor,
when public.

I think some of this is bridging left and right brained perceptions and
communication.  Some accept the practical, and some engage the theoretical to
expand/improve, and some can do both.  The goal is to further subsidize lace
making and what is needed to perpetuate it.  That can accrue, rather than wane,
as is the common perception within the medium itself, it's popularity, and
supplies and techniques to support it.   Assuming everyone knows everything, is
a much purer place to be than thinking you know a lot (or another knows little
or nothing), as there is always so much more to know . . .  and then there is
that which has yet to be created.  To ask a question humbly, does not indicate
the substance of the querent, other than they wish to hold virtue and learning
as their first priorities.

I really appreciate the additional insights that been shared, as they are in
the
true heart and purpose of the list.  Perhaps it would be better for the list to
consider the subject of Architect's Paper Comparables dead, at least currently.

I am certain there is a satisfactory substitute, but that may not be a priority
to much of the list.  So be it.

Best,
Susan Reishus