Hi Lora,

I first saw bobbin lace being made by a woman demonstrating at a
needlework (!) exhibition in Devon, UK, in 1987.  I wish I knew who that lady
was because I would thank her several times over:  I watched mesmerized for
20-30 minutes.  When she noticed that others had come and gone but I was
rooted to the spot, she offered to let me try (on a real piece of lace, not a
"try it" pillow!!).  I remember it was in a cloth stitch area, and moving the
bobbins felt like something I had done in a previous life.  When I came back
to the States I eventually found some demonstrators from New England Lace
Guild and started myself with real equipment. (I had made a piece from a
needlework (! again) book, using an insect pinning board for a pillow and long
wood screws for bobbins--it certainly wasn't as aesthetically rewarded as
using lovely bobbins on a regular pillow.  The piece came out alright
however--a heroic effort!)

I like the simpler pieces because of rhythm and
sound of the bobbins, and because, like you, it frees my mind (especially my
subconscious) to deal with stuff that would make me frustrated if I was
obsessing about it.  The more difficult laces (especially for me Binche or Old
Flanders) are complicated puzzles that result in a beautiful result, during
which I am totally concentrated on the process and can take a vacation from
"real life".  I make more samples than complete pieces because I like the
process and am interested in the look of the sample.  That said, I have two
pillows with handkerchief edgings on them (UFOs) and have done yardage for
insertions in clothing.

Thank you for the interesting questions.  And if
anyone from the UK remembers demonstrating in Devon in 1987--unlikely I know,
but I'd love to get in touch with you.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA

PM
>Subject: [lace] Your story
>
>What about you? What sparked your interest
and what keeps you coming back?

>Lora
>In a cold dark village in ayrshire
>What is it about lace making that keeps you interested and how has that
changed over the course of your learning?