I first saw pictures of lace being made in my father's encylopedia when I was
5 (yes, I was the swatty kid who sat and read the encylopedia at home - it's
one of the reasons I have over 5000 books in my house).

I really wanted to
make lace because I was enthralled by the mathematically potential of the
stuff but couldn't find anyone to teach me.  Years later, when I worked for a
major telecoms company there was an annual craft fair for our area of the
company (yes we had a company craft fair - pretty impressive) and I was
exhibiting some of my jewellery (I got first prize two years running!!)
and there was a lady there demonstrating lace making.  I asked if she taught
and she told me that there was going to be a group started for the company and
I could join.

I was outside that telephone exchange on the first session
waiting 20 minutes early and have never looked back.

I think it's pretty sad
that access to crafts was so limited when I was a child.  There were adult
education classess in lace making but you had to be over 12 to access them and
if there was an over subscription of adults, kids under 18 were bumped off the
course.  I learnt to play classical guitar as a child and in order to complete
my music examinations I had to join the adult education classes as my school
didn't recognise the guitar as an instrument (I think that's a bit like Euro
sceptics here who pretend the next thing after the english channel is america
and africa (sorry bad UK joke)).

One year there was a big surge in people
wanting to learn the guitar so the powers that be told my mother I couldn't
continue having lessons as I was only 13 and adults took prescident (they also
paid more).  My teacher informed the liberal arts college that I would be
attending as people dropped out, didn't pay or were basically just untalented
and she knew I'd stay all year.  There were some moans about H&S (number of
people in the room) but she just ignored them and signed me up.  25 people at
the start of the year in September, by the Xmas concert - 13.  The college
liked to shout about how many people had passed their exams at the end of the
year and I remember being slapped on the back by one of the big wigs when I
collected my certificate and being told how 'good I was' and as I went to open
my mouth to say something about not being allowed on the course my father
dragging me away with the words 'time and place'.  I still get dragged away
 when I want to say something that's going to embarrash people ... not good
the dragging away but good that I want to say it.

Kind Regards

Liz Baker
thelace...@btinternet.com

My chronicle of my bobbins can be found at my
website: http://thelacebee.weebly.com/