---- lynrbai...@desupernet.net wrote:
The last time this issue came up, I was discussing some sort of tray as Shirley
and Liz mention, but I wanted sides that came up for storage to prevent rolling
off, and came down when I wanted to use the bobbins, so they could just be put
on the pillow and treated as some sort of cover cloth on the pillow, then the
sides come up again for storage.  Any ideas, anyone?  I like the cloth idea
especially, much less chance of breaking the thread on an edge.-----

Instead of trying to construct a box with sides that fold down, how about a lid
that a box comes down onto?  There are plenty of plastic boxes out there with
snap-on lids.  Some of them are of non-brittle plastic so you could probably
carve one side's edge off.  Then 3 sides of the box fit into the groove in the
lid and the 4th side has a shallow gap that the threads feed through from the
bobbins inside.  I suggest you keep an eye out for shallow, soft-plastic boxes
of appropriate dimensions.

Second option:  Big cardboard rectangle to support the bobbins, covered with
fabric with a seam around the cardboard (acts as hinge for sides and keeps the
cardboard in place).  Three sides have a narrow rectangle of carboard and the
fabric from the base extends over these cardboard walls.  Put laces or velcro
hook-and-loop fabric or button-and-loop at the corners of the side pieces.  To
create a tray, fold the sides upright and tie/hook them together.  To turn it
into a "cover cloth", untie/unhook the sides and they'll flop down.  I don't
know how clear this is.  I could draw something and send it to you if you're
interested.  It's beyond my ASCII-art abilities.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com