Yes, I

In a message dated 4/22/2013 12:18:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
welshw...@gmail.com writes:

Many  SciFi/Fantasy Conventions are much less than $150, and have the
programming  (classes) as part of the entrance fee.

Now, there are a few differences though:

*  Most of the programming (at least at the Cons I've gone to) is  one hour
slots, either panels (4 or 5 people talking about a subject,  interacting
with the audience) OR an Author reading his/her novel.  There  are very few
hands on "how to" workshops, and when there are, they are usually  two hours
at the most.

*  As I understand it (since I've never been on a committee that  runs a
Con), most of the presenters don't have to be paid for their  appearances.  Of
course, the !Big! !Name! draws are comepensated with a  stipend, but that's
only usually 2-4 people.  The other people (the ones  who are presenting in
a panel or reading their books) may get their rooms and  entrance, but
don't also receive any money.

*  There are some SciFi/Fantasy style Cons that are now charging on  a tier
level.  Tier 1 gets you in the door and into the vendor room, and  a few
panels with people who only have a local following.  Tier 2 gets  you all of
Tier 1, and into some of the panels with more well known people,  and maybe a
book reading from that famous author you love.  Tier 3 gets  you Tiers 1
and 2, as well as into the panels and presentations with the !Big!  !Name!
people you'd go all fangrrrrl about (if you fangrrrl, that is).  A  bunch of
the ComicCons are doing this.  (Personally, I find that those  kind are too
expensive for me, and I end up not going, even though local ones  are supposed
to be good.)

The main difference,of course, is that the SciFi/Fantasy Cons are not set
up to give intensive, hands on workshops.  While they do impart  knowledge,
they aren't showing 10 or 15 people (or whatever the class limit  is) how to
make a pillow, how to prep a patterns, how to make the pad (for  needle
lace).  While the larger ones do rent all of the conference rooms  in a hotel
for the weekend, they also don't need 20 classrooms each day.

For a good example of a Con I go to regularly, that costs well under $150
for the Con (hotel and food extra though), check out Mile Hi Con in Denver,
CO.  (http://www.milehicon.org/Default.aspx)  As it's 6 months out, they
don't have the programming finalized yet, but  this gives an idea.  Basically,
you can be busy from 8 in the morning  until 10pm or later with different
programming if you want at this con, all  for $40-$46 per person for the
whole weekend.

Bronwen,
who isn't a promoter or on the committee for MHC, but who attends as  often
as funds and her husband's work schedule allows.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM, <_Dmt11home@aol.com_