Clay:

I completely understand, and put that in my email.  The questions were,
"What would be an example of a Con that costs $150 or less and where you
could take a dozen classes?  What kind of classes would they be?  How long
would each class be?"

Yes, I know this is a lace list, but there are many Conventions out there,
which do educate on some level.  Even what you call the "trade show" style
(though I'd quibble with that assessment, but it's not important, really)
informs and exchanges information.

My starred points, however, showed a difference in what the IOLI convention
is and what the SciFi/Fantasy Cons are.  I even stated "The main
difference, of course, is that the SciFi/Fantasy Cons are not set up to
give intensive, hands on workshops.  While they do impart knowledge, they
aren't showing 10 or 15 people (or whatever the class limit is) how to make
a pillow, how to prep a patterns, how to make the pad (for needle lace)."

I was just answering the question as I read it, not inferring that the
person asking was just wanting to know about Lace Cons.

Also, I want to make it clear -- since it seems I didn't in my last email
-- that I'm NOT saying I think teachers shouldn't be paid for giving their
classes!  I was just trying to show how Cons in other genres can keep the
costs down, and also showed a version where the ones who brought in big
name celebrities could afford to pay the celebrities.  If we don't think
it's wrong to pay to see our favorite actor/author/whatever, then how much
more is it RIGHT to pay people who are experts in their art, not only
travel money but also a good fee to teach something we want to learn?

Bronwen,
who's obviously not had enough caffeine this morning if I couldn't convey
that last, most important bit, clearly

--

"It is sometimes the most fragile things that have the power to endure and
become sources of strength."