Hi Bronwen,

I think that you're comparing apples to oranges here.  At a lacemaking
convention, people are paying experts to travel (many from Europe), stay at the
hotel and have their convention costs covered, as well as a teaching stipend.
The best and most sought-after teachers devote their careers to designing and
teaching, and do not do that for free.

On the other hand, at Sci-Fi "cons", it's a great deal more like a trade show
where speakers are sharing information, but also selling something.  They are
eager to do this because it furthers whatever it is they are promoting.  Most
times these speakers are being paid to be there by the company for whom they
work.

So I don't think you're ever going to see a lacemaking convention that is $150,
all inclusive.

Clay

Sent from my iPad