So, as luck would have it, while thinking about this, I found a reference
to a "QuiltCon" that will be happening soon, while I was reading my feed on
Facebook.

http://www.quiltcon.com/conference/pricing-policies-and-rules/

Here is how they seem to have worked out paying the instructors as well as
keeping the Con affordable for those who don't have a lot of money:

*Admission Costs*:

Lecture pass: grants admission to the lecture hall
Show pass: grants admission to the vender hall and quilt show
Workshops: purchased a la carte
*
Lecture Passes:*

   - Four-Day Lecture Pass $199 – includes a four-day show pass
   - Thursday, February 21 Lecture Pass $50 – includes a day show pass
   - Friday, February 22 Lecture Pass $90 – includes a day show pass
   - Saturday, February 23 Lecture Pass $90 – includes a day show pass
   - Sunday, February 24 Lecture Pass $50 – includes a day show pass

*Workshops:*

   - Full-day Workshop $150 – includes a day show pass
   - Half-day Workshop $75 – includes a day show pass

*Show Passes:*

   - Four-day Show Pass $30
   - Day Show Pass $10

*Spend $179 or more and get a free 4-day show pass.*

*Spend $399 or more and get a free 4-day show pass and a goodie bag.*

I don't know how well this works, but it does go along with the "Tier"
levels I mentioned some SciFi Cons doing in a different email.  As an art
convention, this shows a way to be able to pay the teachers, while still
making it semi-affordable for the person who can't raise $500 plus travel
expenses, food, and lodging for a few days.

Bronwen
--

"It is sometimes the most fragile things that have the power to endure and
become sources of strength."