This is the way it has always been done in South Africa and I always thought
it was standard pratice!!! I have actually changed to orange paper after
seeing all the Spanish lacemakers working on orange background and the
threads are more visible.
Jeanette Fischer, Western Cape, South Africa.

If the patterns were to be routinely copied onto a pale blue  paper the
same color as blue film, students in the US could put the blue paper
pattern
on a card, say an old file folder, and then cover it with the clear  matte
film that is sold at Ace Hardware. One can buy a roll of clear matte film
large enough to last you the rest of your life for $5.

Why should it be routine in the US to expect everyone to  arrive at a class
with a product that is not sold in the US?

Devon