Dear Lace Friends Around  the World,

You've created quite a love  festival for me in the last 2 days, since I
wrote a reply to Lyn about  the Little Danish Heart Pattern on the 14th.  If
you did not see it, the  last paragraph prompted quite an ado.  It was not
about my  on-going AOL e-mail delivery problems, but the following:

"I was told again this week, that people do not read what I write on
Arachne.  So sorry, since my free-to-you contributions  might suggest a subject
for dinner conversation or a local lace group  meeting.  Maybe I am just
writing for future researchers who will delve  into Arachne archives?  Or,
maybe
our archives will die and evaporate (as  our early correspondence seemingly
did), and all will have  been for naught."

Your input has  been encouraging.  Not only for me, but I hope for the
other  regular contributors to Arachne who spend hours in thoughtful  research
to confirm what they write before hitting Send Now.  A note  to them once in
a while telling how you used the information they shared  would be
encouraging.

When Arachne was very young I begged some prominent  American lace experts
to participate.  The summary of their  attitudes was:

1.  It is too much work
2.  People do not appreciate volunteer efforts
3.  No one ever says "thank you"
4.  It is a subject ridiculed both publicly and at home
5.  Public disagreement is bad for my lace business

Last year, at a New England Lace Group meeting, some women mentioned
reading my Arachne memos.  I asked them to please write to  Arachne, because it
is known they have much first-hand lace  knowledge.  Oh!  No!  You would have
thought I asked them to  commit a crime.

A lot could be said about these attitudes, but I will leave the  subject
for all to ponder.

My motive is to share the many  resources located here in a Maine home, and
especially to bring  the history of women to you all in small bites.  Women
have always  been remarkable in their accomplishments, and not often given
credit or  thanks.  Not only in textile production (which has been traced
back to  artifacts made in prehistoric times), but also as mothers, teachers,
nurses, community volunteers, members of religious orders.

It is encouraging that  some of our very well-educated 20th Century female
scholars are  digging deeply into old archives now to bring us more
validation.  This will help us all to appreciate history as more than
memorizing
dates of wars, reigns, inventions, sports achievements, scandals,  etc.

We should wrap up this  subject.  Before we do - please tell the regular
editors, writers, translators, and proofreaders of your  lace-related
newsletters and Guild bulletins how much you appreciate  their gifts of time
and
knowledge.   It really does  take a long time to prepare thoughtful
information for you, requiring  much reading, consultation with others,
memories, and
so forth, and then  condensing salient details into information bites.

May you never have to  retro-lace!   Jeri