Good afternoon all -

This was my third year attending convention.  Once you go you will always want
to go!

I live in Lincoln, NE USA and I traveled to Sacramento, CA on Amtrak.  It was a
long
trip but I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I downloaded some audio books from the
library onto
my iPad so I could listen while I rode - tatted some, cross-stitched some,
stared out
the window lots just enjoying the scenery.

My morning class was Bruges with Elizabeth Peterson.  I learned an amazing
amount
of new things.  Was able to finish a flower motif by Wednesday afternoon only
because
Elizabeth was kind enough to open her room that afternoon for anyone who needed
help.
I really wanted to get it done so I could start a new piece.  And that I did on
Thursday
morning - the trefoil - used a pale green DMC sz 80 tatting thread.  There were
12 in the
class and everyone was doing different patterns.  Elizabeth was wonderful about
getting
around to everyone.  In fact, the whole group was great!  I hope I can finish
the trefoil
and start another flower before I forget what I learned.  Did lots of videoing
on my iPad
which should help a lot.

In the afternoon, I took the tatting class with Randy and Gary Houtz.  What
fun!  I met them
quite a few years ago but hadn’t taken a class from them.  There were 14 in
that class.
We learned a different technique every day.  Finished each motif on my return
home trip
on the train.  Once again, they make sure they get to everyone so you can learn
lots.

I’m always in awe at the Teacher’s Display night.  That would be my dream - to
be able
to make most of those laces and do them well.  (There are some techniques that
I am
not as fond of as others, but, boy, do I appreciate the work!)

The War Lace presentation given by Karen Thompson was so very interesting.
The lace collection belonging to Lia Baumister was awesome.
How could you not get enthused after seeing such wonderful things for a week!?!

And the vendor room - as always - had so many tempting things - and I did bring
home a good number - books, bobbins, a new commemorative cover cloth.

Now I am home - running the shop - selling needlework supplies - having guild
meetings.  Not as much time to do what I want to do.  But every minute I can
make lace, I’m happy.

Hope to see some of you next year in Coralville.  I know I have already made
plans to attend.

Jane Nelson
Lincoln Lacemakers
Lincoln, NE  USA