Karen,

You described using brightly colored threads for your beginners so that you can
reference which pair of bobbins to address. A technique I used when I was
working a very complex pattern was to trace the pathways of my pattern using
colored pencils. Then I placed color matched elastics onto the corresponding
bobbins. I found it very easy to determine which bobbin pairs were associated
with each portion of my pattern. I also had glass head pins in matching colors
when I needed to use dividers.

Deborah