One of our members comes from France and I saw her using the leather/vinyl cover cloth.  I've made myself a couple and they do seem to speed up the bobbins  -  maybe I should get them out to work Mum's tablecloth.  :-)  Brigitte works with continental bobbins on a flat pillow.............  I guess its the way you were taught but I find my slightly raised cookie pillow with spangled bobbins no trouble at all.

Cheers,
Shirley T.  -  heading for 40C on Friday and Saturday.  Hot weather coming your way ladies but I think Chelle might be sending us some rain shortly????