Thank you for the wonderful video links, everyone! And to prove the point
that speed is possible with many bobbins on the pillow (and Flanders at
that!) too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHFZrJIzTo

(I love the casual peek at the pair diagram next to her halfway through..)

It seems that a one-hand "flick" of the pairs (fairly low on the bobbins'
shafts), (continental bobbins, palms down) instead of picking them up is
this lacemaker's technique.

I just tried it on the pillow, and it will take some practice to get used
to, but it might be worth the effort! I normally pick up the bobbins, and
if I try to work faster this way, the bobbins start to "bounce" off the
pillow (and tangling them out of order). A light, one-handed flick is a
much more efficient movement that would avoid this problem too.

Pierre