Quoting Michael Van Canneyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sun, 14 May 2006, m2 wrote:
>
> > Michael Van Canneyt a ֳ©crit :
> > > People taking offense at this name only make themselves ridiculous.
> > > I refuse to take that (or them) serious. ( Yes, and I will take the
> > > risk that I will burn eternally in hell for this ;-) )
> >
> > As far as I am concerned, it is not a matter of offense. I am as
> > atheist as you are (if not more :-)
>
> I am way beyond atheism already :-)
>

> > The problem with "Lazarus" is that it is a very bad name. There is
> > nothing in it that is linked to the software itself or that suggests
> > something pleasant.
>
> Well, just to name a few:
>
> Delphi - reminds me of ancient greece. Duh !
> Gambas - I hate shrimp!
> GNU - not really an inspiring animal ?
> Python - a snake. Not exactly a positive image ??
> perl - Pathetically Eccclesiastic Rubbish Lister ?!
> Ruby - A girls name, and an obvious hint at perl ? Pathetic !

Ruby have very nice syntax, it's something between Perl and Pascal :)

> Eclipse - I don't see what is positive about the light going out for everyone
> ?!
>
> I'm sure that if you look up projects in freshmeat or whatever,
> you'll find a lot more names which are associated with strange
> things.
>
> Lazarus is just a name. The original project from which Lazarus
> was derived was called 'Megido' - some sacred mountain in Israel.

Sacred for christianity just like the Lazarus person that returned from the dead
(it's actually an Hebrew name for person -> Eliezer, but the person was a figure
in the new testemony).

I belive that less religious words the better...

> I'm sure not many people on the list know this ?
>
> > To keep the idea that is behind "Lazarus", for
> > instance, "Phoenix" would have been a better choice. But, as a matter
> > of fact, any "X-FPC" or "FPC-X" would have been better. Not that these
> > names are good, just it is very difficult to be worst than "Lazarus".
>
> This obviously is a matter of taste.
>
> If we're going to change the name, why not go for Cheetah ?
> Honour the mascotte of FPC ?
> Oh no ! it's already a template engine for Python !
> Tiger ? Damn, Apple used it.
> Puma ? Open source media player for Mac...
> Lynx ? Also in use..
> Leopard ? opensource Egovernment project
> Lion ? Nope: (La)TeX uses a lion's image...
>
> and so on...
>
> To make it short: Personally, I really don't see the need...

Nicholas Wirth once said that a language requires good name (I don't recall the
exact quote), without a good name the language will fail.

Personally, I belive that we need to kill the name "Pascal" because many people
does not respect that language (I still do not understand why).

OpenRAD etc sounds really nice idea... :)

> Michael.

Ido