On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, George Birbilis wrote:

> > Why is it that every body and anything got a Dot Net version?
>
> Cause .NET is a new and carefully designed OOP platform

That's what they want you to believe of course.
Reality is: Nothing new under the sun :)

[cut]

> > My colleagues in other departments like Physics and Math
> > regret they dint go the CS route. But I regret  I dint stick
> > to Physics or Mathematics. In these an Equation is always an
> > equation. We dont have another company coming up and throwing
> > away an equation for a new one.
> > And we dont have to learn things from scratch to stay in the job.
>
> But then you lose all the fun, plus your skill rot

Nonsense. I improve every day. I don't waste my time learning another
language. I do learn new exciting things every day, and I apply them
best and fastest using the language I know best: Object Pascal.
Learning a new programming language is not useful in itself.

If I had to spend time learning new languages all the time, to be up
to date with all hype languages, I wouldn't be improving my useful set
of skills, and on top I would know all these languages only superficially.
No thanks...

But that is just my point of view, of course...

Michael.