On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Cesar Romero wrote:

> > > And why should we do so? I still don't see what .Net offers what FPC
> > > can't do better without adding another dependency on Microsoft.
> >
> > Exactly!  Not to mention that Microsoft's .NET is not cross-platform.
> > Yes, Mono is trying to make it cross-platform, but they are forever
> > going to play the catch-up game!  Microsoft will keep dictating .NET
> > and forever break Mono.  And what happens when Avalon (I think that is
> > what it is called) one day arrives?
> >
> > Free Pascal solves all these problems.  No extra layers, VM's, etc.
> > Just raw speed and native executables with an excellent cross-platform
> > compiler.
>
> I think that the advantage of have .NET is,
> use library already done like WinForms, Database access, ASP.NET, etc
> directly in FreePascal/Lazarus without the need to port/rewrite in FP,
> And if someone wants to use that they should agree with the dependences.

But where is the advantage ?

1. Uniform database access was available through ODBC already.
ODBC was and is an accepted standard. .NET data access is
necessarily slower and more cumbersome.

2. Winforms is nothing but a VCL-like wrapper around the native Win32 API.

3. ASP.NET ties you to the Windows IIS server.  Apache is still the most
used webserver, PHP the most used web scripting language.

So where is the advantage ? It's all a lot of marketing talk.
Under the hood, there is nothing new or even innovative...

The point is that .NET adds nothing new or inherently better.
It's old recipes in a new marketing jacket.

> This is only a observation, Im not asking to you guys to do that, ofcource
> this could be a plus.

If someone wants to start a port: By all means, go ahead. We'll give advice
where needed. Only I don't think the core developers see the need to develop
this themselves...

Michael.