Giuliano Colla wrote:
But in this case there's an extra challenge. In normal conditions you have a budget, start a campaign, and if you're good the campaign is successful. In this particular case there's no budget to speak of. But if you're *exceptionally* good you'll find a way nonetheless :-)
Last year I was at the Open Source Developers conference in Melbourne Australia.

Paul Spain, I believe, gave a talk on Lazarus...

I don't believe that the talk was exceptional...

However, he was successful in communicating that Lazarus was a contending programming language.

So we can only applaud him for that....

Lazarus does need a lot more "promotion"...... it's not about being exceptional... just being seen. And having some sort of barrel to push.

As for foundation supporters, I would suggest that we look at the corporates. They have great financial resources and many have a "legacy" delphi codebase. (rubbing hands - conversions.. - conversions..)

We should be communicating to them the benefits of going "Open Source" and cross-platform..... not leaving their code locked in to a product where the company has no great forward looking vision.

Delphi has a lovely compiler... fast and produces robust code. But it only runs under windows... and is looking older and more clunky year by year...

One thing to remember is that there is such a big Delphi codebase out there..... and I am not hearing messages from Codegear that give me a warm and cozy feeling... they're suggesting I go php - yuck...

So I think there is a place for an open-source cross-platform Pascal based IDE.. put Lazarus up against Java and Python, and C#....

So if Codegear doesn't want to go full steam forward, I think there is an opportunity to pick up what Codegear doesn't want anymore - that is the corporate pascal open-source cross-platform code base.

I can tell you for a fact... python is invading that space in a big way... snakes are pests right ? why not stomp those things...?

Regards

David