Giuliano Colla wrote:
Micha Nelissen ha scritto:
Ever thought of applications which receive data from a number of external sources and should display them and react accordingly? They outnumber the applications where a user just sits there and plays with mouse. And they're commercial application which need a good solid software, and a pleasant look. I'm talking of application where the input devices are a combination of network connection plus barcode readers, badge readers, electronic scales, access controls, etc. etc. You find them in POS, in hotels, in company stores, in cash dispensers, in taxi companies, in airports, wherever. The multiple sources require multithreading, and fast response to external events, combined with fast update of display, and with human interaction. There's no RAD worth mentioning today to provide the GUI for all those applications.

Giuliano

This is of particular interest to me and can vouch for Giuliano says. I'm working up a prototype re-write of our existing POS software currently written in Delphi 6. I did a couple of subjective tests a while back trying to simulate how fast screen painting would be in a lazarus app on windows and linux.

One test was simply a group box with room enough for 48 buttons which I tried creating on the fly as well as design time and setting .visible property on or off as needed. This is a common widget in p.o.s., an area of buttons that are painted and repainted as the user navigates through entering a sale and selecting products, side dishes, modifiers, etc. Lazarus on Windows seems pretty fast. In Gnome on CentOS4 it was just about but not quite as fast as Windows(xp). Definitely acceptable from those simple tests. Both computers were p4 2ghz 512 RAM with 64 MB shared video/ram, btw.

Another, non point of sale example, is a control panel app that I wrote against the Asterisk PBX which shows real time status of all phone extensions, conferences, queues, parked callers, etc as well as can be programmed to send customer commands to transfer callers between extensions, conference rooms, blah blah blah.

http://www.datatrakpos.com/pos/datatalk/maestro.aspx

It was an interesting project (using D6), but synchronizing the asynchronous events coming in from Asterisk and updating the GUI was a real challenge for me.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee

"If I don't see you around here, I'll see you around, hear?"