Quoting Patrick von der hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Ok, now it seems that I was a bit confused. The db_archive command (with no
switches, run in the db environment folder) lists all transaction log files
besides the last one. And this means that they are *not* involved in any
transactions, right?

The man-page is very explicit:

<quote>The  db_archive utility writes the pathnames of log files that
are no longer in use (e.g., no longer involved in active
transactions), to the standard output, one pathname per line. These
log files should be written to backup media to provide for recovery in
the case of catastrophic failure (which also requires a snapshot of
the database files), but they may then be deleted from the system to
reclaim disk space. </quote>

I ususally do a regular "slapcat" and run backups of the resulting
ldif, so I can delete all files reported by db_archive without backups
of those transaction logs or database files.

Ok, could you possibly describe the steps you perform to restore that data when
needed?

These were the steps I performed when I cloned the original ldap/bdb database to
the current server:

01. stop tomcat and ldap
02. rm -f /var/lib/ldap/data/*
03. rm -f /home/ldap/bdb_transaction_logs
04. run db_recover -c in /var/lib/ldap as user ldap
05. start ldap, verify status, check that files are created in
/var/lib/ldap/data
06. stop ldap
07. add set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC in DB_CONFIG
08. run as user ldap: slapadd -l
/var/lib/ldap/temp/testserver_dump_ldap_sep23.ldif
09. run db_recover -c in /var/lib/ldap as user ldap
10. /etc/init.d/ldap start
11. /etc/init.d/ldap status

Any thoughts on these steps?
I know that you're not supposed to delete *all* transaction logs (step 3 above),
but if you want to wipe out the current database completely and start from
scratch, you have to do that, right? Should I maybe do db_checkpoint -1 after
step 3? Any

Regards
/Jimi

---
You are currently subscribed to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBJECT of the message.