Quoting Quanah Gibson-Mount <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

--On Sunday, September 23, 2007 5:20 AM +0200 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hehe, yeah, a nice quote that one. But do you mean to say that I one
reason for
my problems is that I didn't run slapindex? I was under the assumption
that
ldap/bdb would do all indexing automatically.

slapadd will index if the indices are already defined in the slapd.conf file.

ldapadd will index if the indices are already defined in the slapd.conf file.

If you *add* a new index when you already have existing data, you must run slapindex.

Ok, that was not the case here, so it means I don't need to run slapindex then.
Great, because it's far to early for a drink ;)

Note that with OpenLDAP 2.3+, you can use the -q option to slapadd and slapindex to significantly reduce the amount of time either takes. Also read up on the tool-threads option for slapd.conf when using OpenLDAP 2.3+.

Ok, since the manpage for slapindex says "Improves indexing time, however the
database will most likely be unusable if any errors or interruptions occur"
about the -q option, I guess one should only do this after a backup has been
made.

By the way, I have now finished an import of 6400 users into the CMS. This is
the actual real user data. I divided it up in two steps, first imported 3000
users, then ran db_recover -c (not sure about if the -c option was needed, but
it seemed to help before), then imported the rest 3400 and then ran db_recover
-c again. Now Ldapbrowser lists all users in just a few seconds, and a search
for uid=a* takes just a few seconds as well. So all seems to work now. However
I'm wondering if the reason it's working now is that we have fewer users (6450
now compared to ~15000 before). I will do more test imports today, in 3000-user
chunks, with db_recover -c in between, and see if/when things go haywire.

Just one more thing, about these transaction logs... The way I understand it,
db_recover uses them all each time it is run. Then, when exactly is it safe to
delete them? I mean, they take up 5% of that drive's space already. I mean,
assuming no drive failure will happen
When the server goes live, we will of course have proper backup, but just not
sure how long time these have to be saved. Only up to the latest full database
backup? So if I do a full backup of the database files (simply copying the
content of the data directory), I can safely remove all the transaction logs?
Do I need to do something special after that, or just start up ldap again?
Assuming that the db_archive command tells me that no log files are in use.

Just want to make sure I have understood the documentation I have read.

Regards
/Jimi

---
You are currently subscribed to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBJECT of the message.