Today at 2:17pm, A. Rick Anderson said:

About a year ago, when Salt Lake took over the Internet service to the meeting house family history library, they paid a guy to install a wireless network in the ceiling. Not surprisingly, it requires propriety software to access it. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever used this thing.

Does anyone any actual facts (the speculatory reasons are obvious) on what the intent of this thing would be for?

We have such an installation in our stake, with which I have been quite deeply involved. Paul's comment about the FM group is correct in our case, they're the ones that run it, and know the people to talk to.

In our case they got a DSL line, ran wires to the Family History center, and set up wireless throughout the building and put wireless cards (and installed the proporietary access software and magic keys) in all the clerks' office machines. (This building has a stake, two wards, and a branch with offices there.) They also installed a Cisco PIX content filtering firewall on the network for all the traffic to pass through.

If I recall correctly, the access protocol is AEGIS, and the software and the magic keys are available from the FM group. They even gave us an install CD upon request, so we could rebuild it on one of our machines that was having trouble.

However: with that said, the policy clearly stated that only church-owned computers were permitted to connect to the network. So no laptops or other computers were allowed to connect via wired or wireless connections in the building.

As a relevant side note, the last handbook I saw (current version of Book 1 as of about 6 months ago) said that internet access was not allowed from the computers in clerks' offices and such. It didn't specify a yes or no answer regarding Family History Center computers, and it makes sense that it would be allowed there. The best answer I ever got to the questions about the apparent conflict was that since the Church installed and maintained the internet connections for our Family History Center and our clerks' offices, they had approved it for use there.

If anyone is in a position of any influence with regard to these policies, it would be really great if there were some authorized way to allow internet access from a clerk's office computer in a more general way. The church is advocating the use of the Stake and Ward Websites, but when the only place you can get to them is from home, it really makes things difficult. It was very nice to be able to pull up MLS and the web site on the same computer at the same time, and synchronize (manually of course) the lists of callings and such, or work with calendars, or view and print out materials from the church web site, but when you can't have MLS and internet on the same computer, it really makes things difficult.

The other question we never got a good answer to was when MLS will be able to synchronize with church headquarters over the internet (with a secure SSL connection of course) instead of those lame and slow external modems they pass out. Our MLS would not infrequently sit there for the better part of an hour downloading over the modem, and sometimes fail and have to start all over, saving data at 50kbps when we had a connection 30 times that fast available on the very same computer. Not only would it work a lot faster, but then the Church wouldn't have to maintain a big modem pool, and could just let each unit/stake/fmgroup do their own thing for internet access at whatever speed they needed. Or perhaps the church could even bargain with one of the nationwide providers for a deal for all the relatively low use church sites to get access for less than normal. Who knows. But at least having it available to the sites that have internet access anyway would be great.

One thing I'm a little curious about is how widespread this practice of installing DSL internet (with or without wireless) in church buildings has become. I was under the impression that our location was a test site in a pilot program (this was probably close to 3 years ago), but since then I've heard of several others that have similar equipment now. How many other stakes, wards, or family history centers have this now? How many of those are in Utah, and how many are elsewhere?

Thanks,
Mac

--
Mac Newbold             MNE - Mac Newbold Enterprises, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.macnewbold.com/