On Nov 22, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Paul Penrod wrote:

Forking a process for communication does not require significant
additional complexity
if it's done right. Even DOS was capable of background transmission,
which I did way
back in the 80's. Windows XP is the baseline for all the machines here
in our stake and
it is far more capable of background transmission - especially over modem.

Just a brief comment on this. I don't think that the communication portion is the problem, it is keeping the data in a consistent state. If a membership record is being updated because new data comes in and a membership clerk is updating that record at the same time then you have a potential problem.

That problem isn't impossible to overcome either, but does require more work. At what level do you lock the data? From a database point of view think of this as table level locks versus row level locks. Or for OS people, a big giant lock versus fine grained sub- system locks.

Of all the complaints I have about the MLS software, I can at least appreciate the trade off on this one.

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/