How much time the transmit function wastes varies.  Sometimes it takes
only a minute or two, other times it can take over 15 minutes.  Many
times there are other people waiting to use the system.  There is
often a line outside the clerk's office during sunday school.  The
ability to simply enter HT and VT results on a website at home would
be a real help.

On 11/22/06, Ben Galbraith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Joe,

On 11/22/06, Idaho Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Right, MLS packages up its data and uses Afaria to transmit/receive it, no?

That's right.

> By the way, it's been one of my pet peeves since I started using MLS, but I
> was wondering if I was the only one that thought that locking MLS and
> preventing any further action during transmission was a poor design idea on
> their part?

Good feedback. In general, making user interfaces concurrent result in
significant additional complexity, which in turn requires a good deal
of effort to engineer properly. I'll pass your feedback along. How
much of your time does this behavior wind up wasting?

> Also, as finance clerk, I'm pretty good at making sure I transmit my changes
> to SLC.  However, it often annoys me that instead of taking just a short
> time to transmit my finances, I get a lot of membership updates, and have to
> print out all those reports.  Sometimes I really wish that if a finance guy
> transmits, only the finances are dealt with.  Likewise for membership I'm
> sure.  (Although I doubt he ever gets finance reports)

Good feedback; I'll pass that along.

>  My apologies for the tirade.  It's just something that has always bothered
> me, and I can't explain why.

It's a separate thread to explore this topic, but of course we're all
very bothered by software that forces us to go through extra work to
accomplish repetitive tasks -- especially those of us who by our
natures try and be as efficient as possible.

Thanks,

Ben