[EMAIL PROTECTED], 2001-04-20 18:03 -0700
>On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Mike Noyes wrote:
> > This still doesn't explain why Debian is
> > trying to do the following for their boot floppies.
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot-0102/msg00435.html
> > ~ Build in crams and ramfs. We're going to boot off of a cramfs initrd
> > ~ and then set up and pivot_root into a ramfs filesystem.
>
>I;m not really familiar with the details, but I think the cramfs initrd
>is both disk- and ram-efficient, and pivoting the root means switching
>the root over to a writeable filesystem while maintaining access to the
>old filesystem.  For a boot floppy there is no customization, but it is
>convenient to have a writeable root.

Jeff,
You have a better grasp of the details than I do. :)
If I have this right, cramfs isn't flexible enough for our needs. That
means that Midori isn't useful for a base, and we're back to vfat or minix
for long file name support. The MontaVista rep. seemed to think ext2 wasn't
out of the question for our needs.

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/