[EMAIL PROTECTED], 2001-04-21 12:51 -0700
>On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Mike Noyes wrote:
> > You have a better grasp of the details than I do. :)
> > If I have this right, cramfs isn't flexible enough for our needs. That
> > means that Midori isn't useful for a base, and we're back to vfat or
> > minix for long file name support. The MontaVista rep. seemed to think
> > ext2 wasn't out of the question for our needs.
>
>Now I am confused. In what way do you regard vfat as an alternative to
>minix or cramfs?

Jeff,
I was looking for a solution to the 8.3 FAT file names on the floppy. Am I
completely off base with cramfs?

>I haven't been following the idea of using Midori as a base.

I think I'm the only one that's mentioned it as a possibility, so you
didn't miss anything.

>One of the fundamental architectural characteristics of LRP is the
>separation of data into a ram fs and a storage (backup) fs.

I thought cramfs, ramfs, and packramfs combination did that too. From this
conversation I gather I'm wrong.

>This has different advantages and drawbacks than a run-from-storage
>architecture. One of these is the ability to construct a custom LRP even
>if you only have a Windows box to work with.
>
>However, the run-from-storage approach has strong points, too.  If you
>put LRP into a hard disk or flash disk, you may be using RAM rather less
>effectively than you might prefer.

I thought cramfs was a bootstrap file system for ramfs.

cramfs = .lrp + fat
ramfs = ramdisk
packramfs = lrcfg -> backup

I obviously don't understand the capabilities of these file systems. :(

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/