On Wed, 16 May 2001, David Douthitt wrote:

> I must say.... I've been surprised at all the excitement over Linux
> 2.4.  I've noticed that all of you kernel wizards are scrambling to
> get Linux 2.4 installed on LRP, while glibc 2.1 gets ignored.

Not entirely. I've got a newlibs.tgz sitting on my hard drive right now
that contains glibc 2.1.3 libs in their correct directory. This was done
before 2.4.0 had hit test12.

> To me, Linux 2.4 offers only this:
>
> * Stateful firewalling

It also has support builtin or available for some pretty useful stuff -
the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB DSL modem being one I'm aware of - as well as
improved, updated, and all around more device drivers. For instance, with
my workstation's Ethernet card, a 3c905C NIC, I can use 3c59x.o under
2.4.1 or later. Under 2.2.xx, I have to find an obscure copy of the 3c90x
in order to actually use it. (I've provided this module to at least two
people on the LRP list.)

Other than that though, you're quite correct; all it adds is stateful
firewalling.

> We don't see question after question on the LRP list asking about
> stateful firewalling, nor are people banging down the doors looking
> for 2.4.

Maybe not YOUR door, but I get a few queries each week asking a question
about my 2.4 images.

> I hope no one thinks I'm criticizing - I just find that all the people
> I respect are doing this and I don't know why - so I thought I'd ask.

Why I never went anywhere with mine was mostly because I sent out several
e-mails to this list, and the lack of a response was almost deafening in
it's silence. If I recall, not even you commented David. I assumed that
people had weighed the concept and decided it wasn't worth the effort to
switch, so I moved onward.

--
George Metz
Commercial Routing Engineer

"We know what deterrence was with 'mutually assured destruction' during
the Cold War. But what is deterrence in information warfare?" -- Brigadier
General Douglas Richardson, USAF, Commander - Space Warfare Center