* Charles Steinkuehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004:03:13:21:51:06-0600] scribed:
> Michael D Schleif wrote:
> >`not be hard-coded' is _exactly_ what I am referring to.
> >
> >I don't know how you are doing this; but, I can see value in having some
> >arbitrary director(y|ies) persist across reboots -- in some applications.
> >
> >So, unless I am misunderstanding the previous dialog on this matter, I
> >am suggesting that, instead of limiting this to `/var/log' and `/tmp',
> >you may consider creating this so that an admin can also do same with
> >`/home', or some other arbitrary directory.
> >
> >Am I making any sense?
>
> OK, I'm understanding what you're after now.  I probably wouldn't have
> thought about this, but it should be fairly easy to support, espeically
> if I fold /tmp into the processing for /var/log (although the syntax
> might be a bit cryptic...probably a shell variable to indicate which
> directories are to be mounted).
>
> Note that it's probably better to mount things like /home using the
> normal init scripts, rather than linuxrc.

NOTE: I do not -- at this moment -- have a real application for this.
Needing some example directory, /home is the first non-system directory
that came to mind, and that also made some sense in this context.

> To increase the overall flexability of the new leaf.cfg file, it would
> probably be good to make some 'hooks' (shell functions) that get called
> once the root filesystem is mounted, and maybe before & after extracting
> packages.  That would allow a custom leaf.cfg file to do things like
> mount arbitrary filesystems wherever desired in the heirearchy (ie:
> /usr, /var, or even /etc, if desired).

I believe that the additional work to accomplish this extends the
flexibility of the overall system, which adds value.

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource