Charles

At 06:11 16.03.2004 -0600, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
>Eric Spakman wrote:
>>Hello Charles,

>>>great btw), but they are used in some of the lrcfg/lrpkg scripts AFAIK.
>>>So maybe some of these scripts needs some changes too.
>>>I don't think the Dachstein package backup scripts use these anymore
>>>(part of the upgrade to supporting multiple devices), so Bering
>>>shouldn't be either.  I have verified I can properly backup packages,
>>>but I have not made an exhaustive search for anything that might
>>>reference the 'boot' files.
>>There are some traces of boot.fstype and /dev/boot left in POSIXness.linuxrouter
>>(both Dachstein-1.0.2 and Bering).
>
>I just looked at these, and the use of the boot= kernel command line setting,
>boot.fstype and /dev/boot are not real significant in POSIXNESS.linuxrouter.
>
>The boot= setting and boot.fstype are used as 'defaults' for populating the backdisk
>file when manually installing a package after the system has come up (note is is also
>possible to optionally specify a backup device when manually installing a package).
>
>The /dev/boot symlink and boot.fstype are used in the mount.boot procedure (uncalled
>by any other POSIXness or lrcfg script), and by the mount.back procedure (as a
>fallback if the newer backdisk file is not present).
>
>There are at least three ways to deal with this:
>
>1) Remove the references to these files from POSIXNESS.linuxrouter, replacing them
>with references to the newer files (and likely get rid of the mount.boot procedure
>entirely).
>
>2) Create the files in linuxrc, using the first PKGPATH= device (instead of the
>depricated boot= device).

Sounds reasonable, it certainly is better than boot=

>3) Ignore the problem with manually adding packages once the system is up and
>running.  :)

or insert backuptype NONE if not specified at lrpkg -i

I looked into linuxrc myself and found that it does not use lrpkg to install packages.
It is not a big deal but to me this is not extremely consistent.

cheers
Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16