Eric Spakman wrote:
Hello Charles,

> Files like mount.boot, boot.fstype and /dev/boot are removed (which is
great btw), but they are used in some of the lrcfg/lrpkg scripts AFAIK.
So maybe some of these scripts needs some changes too.

I don't think the Dachstein package backup scripts use these anymore
(part of the upgrade to supporting multiple devices), so Bering
shouldn't be either.  I have verified I can properly backup packages,
but I have not made an exhaustive search for anything that might
reference the 'boot' files.

There are some traces of boot.fstype and /dev/boot left in POSIXness.linuxrouter (both Dachstein-1.0.2 and Bering).

I just looked at these, and the use of the boot= kernel command line setting, boot.fstype and /dev/boot are not real significant in POSIXNESS.linuxrouter.

The boot= setting and boot.fstype are used as 'defaults' for populating the backdisk file when manually installing a package after the system has come up (note is is also possible to optionally specify a backup device when manually installing a package).

The /dev/boot symlink and boot.fstype are used in the mount.boot procedure (uncalled by any other POSIXness or lrcfg script), and by the mount.back procedure (as a fallback if the newer backdisk file is not present).

There are at least three ways to deal with this:

1) Remove the references to these files from POSIXNESS.linuxrouter, replacing them with references to the newer files (and likely get rid of the mount.boot procedure entirely).

2) Create the files in linuxrc, using the first PKGPATH= device (instead of the depricated boot= device).

3) Ignore the problem with manually adding packages once the system is up and running. :)

Any preference?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click