On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 21:56 +0100, Martin Hejl wrote:
> this is a little depressing. After spending years (and tons of emails)
> discussing the need for a kernel 2.6 version of LEAF, there has been no
> response on this list on the topic. Is somebody actually interested in
> continued work on that image (and has just not had an issue with it what
> I've posted last Saturday), or did I scare off people with my too
> verbose email, or is there just no interest, as long as somebody
> provides the drivers for the hardware people need?
>
> I didn't expect a storm of activity - but I (perhaps foolishly) expected
> some sort of response. I'm not looking for a "good job, well done"
> response - but some sort of feedback that somebody is actually giving
> the latest developments a try would be helpful. Without any kind of
> feedback whatsoever, it's very hard to justify spending one's spare time
> on something nobody will use anyway.

Martin,
My comments on the new branch name were pending project name change, so
I'll provide them now...

Since LEAF is now a Framework, how about using wood types for branches?

        Douglas Fir - a bare bones frame
        Rosewood - polished but not necessarily robust
        Ceder - infection resistant
        etc.

> Maybe LEAF is a victim of the fact that it works so well, and as long as
> somebody helps getting the latest network drivers to work, all is well
> as far as the LEAF developers are concerned. By the way thank you Erich
> for spending your time on that, I truly appreciate your involvement in
> getting those drivers to work (and despite the fact that it may sound
> like it, I do not mean that cynically - I actually appreciate the work
> you've been doing). And by all means, I don't mean to discount the
> people who have contributed to the LEAF project in the recent past - I'm
> just a little surprised that there has been no response of any kind on
> this list about what seems to have been asked for so many times in the
> part. Maybe having a branch that supports 2.6 kernel isn't all that
> important after all, despite the fact that the topic has been coming up
> every now and then since 2005 (possibly earlier than that, but 2005 was
> the earliest I could find doing a quick search of the archives).

Some of this is likely my fault. Since my accident, I haven't devoted as
much time to LEAF as I did in the past. :-(

I hope to update our website in the next couple of months. Maybe that
will help invigorate community participation.

SF.net Projects:  leaf, sitedocs