Hi Charles,

> Besides driver issues, another reason to migrate to a 2.6 kernel is
> support for IPV6, which will become vastly more important in the years
> to come, particularly outside the US, where the IPV4 address pool is
> already beginning to be exhausted.
Good point. I haven't had to touch it yet, but I guess sooner or later,
we all will have to tackle that beast.

> I can likely assist with the IPSec stuff.  I have migrated a few sites
> from leaf-based firewalls to minimal debian installs, using the new
> IPSec tools (racoon and racoon-tool, in my case).  I have a few more
> sites that still run leaf and will need to be upgraded soon.  A 2.6
> kernel based release with modern IPSec would allow me to avoid migrating
> to debian (and rotating HDDs).
That would be great. If you could help with IPSEC on a 2.6 kernel, and
you don't have to migrate your LEAF boxes to something else, I guess we
all win :-)

> I don't yet have any real-world experience with IPV6, other than the
> dropped IPV6 packets seen by anyone running a firewall...the nasties
> have taken to using IPV6 tunneling to try and circumvent firewall rules,
> as many routers block IPV4 traffic but have separate (and frequently
> non-existent or less maintained) rule sets for IPV6.
That's a good point - and something we should focus on as we're moving
towards IPV6 (and no matter how hard we try to ignore it - IPV6 will be
something all of us will have to face at some point). I guess we already
have 6Wall - but I'm afraid I have no idea how up to date it is,
compared to shorewall.

Martin