On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Tony wrote:

> Is it just me that's wondering, but why do you need a journaling
> filesystem for a firewall that runs in RAM?  I can understand (I
> guess) if you are using it for a stripped down server application
> like smtp server, or whatever....but I was under the impression that
> a journaling filesystem's best attribute was crash recovery because
> of the way it writes to disk.  For a database app server, or smtp
> server, I can see the benefits. But, again, as a router that loads a
> minimal filesystem, why go to the bother?
>
> Later
>
> Tony

Two reasons -- the filesystem might not be on a RAM disk, or you might
want the increased performance for certain applications.

A mail relay built on LEAF would be the perfect example for the first,
you'd put the mail spool on hard disk because using a RAM disk opens the
possibility that you'll accept mail and lose power before forwarding it,
which will cause the mail to be permanently lost, which is against the
RFCs.

An FTP repository full of small files would be a decent example for the
second; ReiserFS is optimized for work with lots of tiny files, so you
could increase performance by using it on the RAM disk.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...