On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Tony wrote:

> I guess I don't completely understand why you need a JFFS for
> something that under normal circumstances, isn't written to
> physically.  If you have a crash/powerdown situation, with resumtion
> of service, you just reload your image and continue to
> firewall/route.  Would the JFFS be in play to preserve the logs?
> If so, wouldn't it be easier/safer/more secure to forward them to an
> internal syslog server?

I like doing this, but there are concerns with doing it in anything less
than a perfectly trusted environment: If your log host is unavailable,
you're not logging; if malicious listeners are on the LAN, they can see
everything you log (could be quite useful when scanning or rooting a
server); if malicious users are on the LAN, they can flood the listening
syslog server and prevent real logs from getting through.

syslog-ng is supposed to fix a lot of these problems, but I've never
gotten around to taking a look at it.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...