On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > I like doing this, but there are concerns with doing it in anything less
> > than a perfectly trusted environment: If your log host is unavailable,
> > you're not logging; if malicious listeners are on the LAN, they can see
> > everything you log (could be quite useful when scanning or rooting a
> > server); if malicious users are on the LAN, they can flood the listening
> > syslog server and prevent real logs from getting through.
> >
> > syslog-ng is supposed to fix a lot of these problems, but I've never
> > gotten around to taking a look at it.
>
> Or just grab a bunch of multi-port serial cards from e-bay, and setup a
> log-host using serial links.  You can keep the log host disconnected from
> the net entirely (or more likely, keep it's interface un-configured, and
> bring it up/down manually if you ever need to network).

I saw this suggested in one of my paranoiac books (maybe "Network
Intrusion Detection Analyst's Handbook"?) -- but they went one better by
suggesting that you then copy everything to lp on the loghost. Hook up
an old dot matrix printer with a Costco-sized case of paper, and you've
got court-admissible documentation of everything that happens on your
network.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...