> I like doing this, but there are concerns with doing it in anything less
> than a perfectly trusted environment: If your log host is unavailable,
> you're not logging; if malicious listeners are on the LAN, they can see
> everything you log (could be quite useful when scanning or rooting a
> server); if malicious users are on the LAN, they can flood the listening
> syslog server and prevent real logs from getting through.
>
> syslog-ng is supposed to fix a lot of these problems, but I've never
> gotten around to taking a look at it.

Or just grab a bunch of multi-port serial cards from e-bay, and setup a
log-host using serial links.  You can keep the log host disconnected from
the net entirely (or more likely, keep it's interface un-configured, and
bring it up/down manually if you ever need to network).

I've got a bunch of serial cards I picked up for about $5 each, just no time
to make it go :(

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net