At 08:31 PM 12/17/01 -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
>On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 20:09, Paul Rimmer wrote:
>> This really suprises me.  I was under the impression that a 486/66 would be
>> able to service a maxed out cable modem?  I happen to be using a 486/66 on a
>> cable connection but will upgrade if it will help throughput.
>>
>> Any comments on 486 vs Pentium servicing a cable or ADSL modem?
>
>Sure. It's not the processor; it's the bus speed that is a limiting
>factor. I use a P90 (with PCI bus) on a 640Kb ADSL line; I routinely
>average 62KB (that equates to 620Kb) downloads.

Well ... sort of. Kenneth's original comment was about speeds over 1 Mbps,
not 640 Kbps. In practice, a 486 with a 10 Mbps NIC will run, flat out at
around 5 Mbps ... I've tested this many times with direct E-to-E routing
between LANs, and docs on a former Don Becker site reported the same thing
as the bus limitation. That's plenty to keep up with 1 Mbps.

But Kenneth's experience is probably with routers running on PPPoE
connections. This extra layer of encapsulation (of a PPP frame inside an
Ethernet frame) requires extra CPU cycles, and that starts to become a
problem on 486s when the base speed gets high. I don't myself know what a
PPPoE link maxes out at with a 486 router, but I'd trust Kenneth's
experience here.

Cable never (that I know of) uses PPPoE, and not all DSL lines do (mine
doesn't, for example). For them, a 486 should be able to handle T1 speeds
(1.5 Mbps) easily.