I wonder how much of a difference ISA to PCI makes in speed?   I have noticed on both Eigerstein2beta and Dachstein with PPPoE I keep getting the message " pppoe uses obsolete (PF_INET, SOCK_PACKET).  Anything I should be concerned with?

Kenneth Hadley wrote:
026401c187fe$f9558960$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
To tell the truth I'm not sure exactly why I saw such a dramatic speed
boost.
When my total incoming bandwidth reached 1mbit (and usually not much
further) I saw CPU usage on my AMD583-133 reach 70% typically but this was
with a 3com 3c509b ISA card on the WAN side (eth0) and a NetGear 310tx PCI
on the LAN side (eth1)
After upgrading to a P200MMX system with a 3com 3c905 PCI on the WAN side
and a NetGear 310tx PCI on the LAN side I saw bandwidth reach 1670mbit
(which is faster than should be possiable on my DSL circuit) with a CPU
usage of 35%.
I have received emails from folks saying that they had also noticed much
faster downloads after upgrading their boxes to Pentium machines.
One thing I remember about standard 802.3 ethernet TCP segment sizes are
that they are 1460 while PPPoE TCP segment sizes are 1452, the end result is
that if you do not enable the "-m 1452" option in the Roaring Penguin PPPoE
client (and it IS on by default) you will be wasting packets. This
conversion that the PPPoE client does consumes CPU cycles in addition to the
normal Ethernet to PPP encapsulation.

fun fun fun

-Kenneth Hadley