The little 486DLC-40 that I have limits my downloads to about 538kbps on my DSL connection.  According to Ken, anything less then a 486DX4 100 you will notice a speed dive.  It has to do with the way PPP sends the packets.  On the receiving end the cpu must recombine the packets which is where the performance issues come into play.  A faster processor will recombine the packets faster.
I also find this interesting in that upgrading from a AMD586-133 to an Intel P200MMX there is a noticable speed difference.  Is it because of the increase in clock speed or differences between AMD and Intel?  Which I am not sure of.
Robert Chambers

Paul Rimmer wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
Or just upgrade to a low end pentium...since a 486 WILL lag after
a 1mbit of
DSL traffic ( I upgraded at home from a AMD586-133 to a Intel P200MMX
(overkill but it was just collecting dust) and it shocked me how
quicker my
downloads became)

-Kenneth Hadley

This really suprises me. I was under the impression that a 486/66 would be
able to service a maxed out cable modem? I happen to be using a 486/66 on a
cable connection but will upgrade if it will help throughput.

Any comments on 486 vs Pentium servicing a cable or ADSL modem?

Cheers,
Paul