Michael Leone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I routinely average 62KB (that equates to 620Kb) downloads.

I don't think 8 bits per byte is necessarily a better number than 10.

Just for comparison, a serial line's start and stop bits on 8N1
asynchronous characters yields an effective 11 bit-times per byte, plus
TCP overhead.

For TCP over ethernet, the rate is somewhere between an ideal 8.5
bit-times per byte and dozens of bits per byte, depending on how
efficiently the protocol fills the packets, and what the MTU is.

For ethernet over ATM (static ip on DSL) the additional overhead amounts
to a line rate of roughly 10 bit-times per byte, optimally.  I don't know
if DSL bit rates are quoted for their ATM rate or the ethernet rate, but
it looks to me like either of you could be right, depending on your
assumptions.

cf http://sd.wareonearth.com/~phil/net/overhead/

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing